Monday 14 January 2013

The hug vs over-thinking

It is very easy in all of this to get trapped into a pattern of over-thinking things. You would never believe it, but it is actually something I am trying to train myself out of! But when I am trying to baby-sit my own mind, and keep an eye on any potentially depressive thoughts, and make sure I ask for help soon enough that my friends can help me - well it can lead to a bit too much thinking and analysis going on. Not entirely unexpectedly!

And of course thinking too much can (at least in my place) lead into anxiety and worry. Thinking about thinking can lead to actually not doing anything. And that really is no good! I work a lot better when I am getting on with things than when I am sat by myself thinking over stuff and trying to anticipate what might go wrong.

But it is ok - because there is a super-hero waiting in the wings who helps with all of this. It's called The Hug.

There is one thing that I have picked up on/learnt/realised; I don't know why but I find that when someone gives me a hug I actually stop for a moment. My brain stops doing its crazy over-thinking (if crazy over-thinking is going on!) and it starts to at least slow down, and sometimes even to stop. A hug lets me have  a moment where I actually give myself a pocket of time to allow things to stop. (Well, have you ever tried to hug someone while running at the same time? It just doesn't work!!)

I expect that there is some scientific or anthropological reason why hugs are as powerful as they are. There is probably something about human beings being social creatures. To be honest - I don't care! All I know is that a hug works. Simple as.

So today when I am feeling a bit on edge and nervous about what this week is going to throw at me, I'm going to go out and get myself some hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment